Sunday, March 9, 2008

PASTRAMI

My goal here is to reproduce a real NYC style pastrami. I know, pretty ambitious. Here is how I'm going about it....

I started with a commercial corned beef. Brisket cut. I avoid the top round cuts as I find them too lean for this method.

















Soaked for 24 hrs in cold water, changing the water out a couple of times to remove the excess salt.















I made a rub of mixed pepper, coriander and garlic















Brushed on some yellow mustard














Rubbed:




















Fired up my Big Green Egg:















Will cook at ~250 with some fruit wood
















I'll follow up with some pics of the finished product. I expect to smoke the pastrami for 6-8 hours until an internal temp of ~180 is acheived.


No comments: